Re: Topology database

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Topology database
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 00:59:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I would just about bet that it is a DNS issue. Or maybe HSRP, if you are doing
that. I would carefully check the resolution, forward and backward, of each
address on each router. Some address on Router 1 at some point is resolving
to the name you have registered for one of the interfaces on Router 2.

When  you say you are giving each interface a different name for administrative
purposes, do you mean yours or for users? If I were you, I would put both of
those routers in /etc/hosts, all address, all with the same exact name, and if
they are in DNS, also put those ong names in the hosts file as aliases so you
are sure all possible resolution will be done by the host file, both forward and
backward. Make the file /etc/netsvc.conf with the entry 'hosts=local,bind' to
make
it check hosts before dns.) Delete them and rediscover them.Then you should see
Netview handle them properly and you will know that it is a dns problem.

When you are deciding which addresses go on which routers, use the mib
browser or rnetstat  or snmpwalk to check the sysname so you know for sure
which router you are querying, and pull the address table to see which addresses
to assign to which router. Maybe your paperwork is wrong! It is my firm belief
that when Netview shows you something goofy in your network, 97% of the time
there is something goofy in your network.

Also, you want to get to V5.1.1 as soon as you can. V5.0 is short lots of fixes,
including some for hsrp support.

Hello there, the environment is Netview 5.0 under AIX 4.2.1. RS-6000 240.

The scenario:
There are two routers; Router1 has only its main interface registered in
the dns (i.e.: 111.222.1.1), Router2 has every interface (approx. 10)
registered in the dns under different names; this is done mainly for
administrative purposes.

The problem:
Our Router1 for some reason changes its name on the topology map to the
name of one of the interfaces of Router2 (always the same interface name).
This is a nightmare for us since we trigger alarms based on the device name
under the topology map.

Is this a Netview issue or unique to our network? In a test server I'm
running 5.1.1 with the same results. I have run database utilities but the
device after a while picks the wrong name again.

I don't think this is a dns issue either.

Thanks for any help.

.

.
Jorge A. Jiles