Re: DHCP

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: DHCP
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Mon, 17 May 1999 00:03:04 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Not that I know of. It is documented that it works. I just have no use for them
and so have not tested that function. But that is how you do it on NT. You
put them in the seedfile with @ in front of them. Try it and tell us how it
works.
On NT you also have the option of having DHCP nodes set to user1
status when they go down, which means they will be pink and
propogate as good, sort of like AdminDown for router interfaces. So they
won't turn your map yellow every day at 4PM. That's done in the
Discovery settings. I would recommend it if you are discoverying DHCP.

Is there a problem with discovering dhcp clients as dhcp clients, in the seed
file ?

>>> Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM> 05/13 10:33 PM >>>
On both NT and on AIX I have successfully excluded DHCP nodes from
being discovered at all by putting entries in the seedfile like this:
If your ranges is 1.2.3.64 to 1.2.5.255 with class-c mask, use
!1.2.3.64-255
!1.2.4-5.*

Depending on your mask, you may need a bunch of entries. If it is
really messy I hope to be on AIX where I can use !@oid 0 to just
exclude non-snmp nodes altogether.

On NT, those same entries with @ instead of ! would define them as
DHCP.  On AIX, they are determined to be dhcp by their changing
names. If a new address matches a name already known by another
address and that old address no longer resolves to that name, the
address is changed. That is, you need dynamic dns to deal with dhcp.

Excluding nodes from discovery does not affect their ability to send
you traps, if they are capable of it.

If you get a workstation that's beaconing, chances are you whole Token
Ring is temporarily out of commission.  The only trap or event you
should see should come out of the Token-ring interface of the router,
and on your map the whole ring should be down.  I don't think
workstations can generate traps concerning hard errors such as
beaconing, your hubs or switches, may be able to.

Hope this helps
Xu He
Network Solutions, Inc