Re: TEC slot mapping of IBM_NVDCOL_EV (was nothing)

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: TEC slot mapping of IBM_NVDCOL_EV (was nothing)
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Tue, 18 May 1999 09:18:49 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
First of all, the nvserverd.baroc file does not define this event, the
tecad_nv6k.baroc does, doesn't it?
But that is not relevant to your question.

The deal with slot mapping is that you can assign trap variables to slots,
or you can combine variables with the PRINTF function and assign those to a
slot.  But there is no mechanism provided to parse out pieces of a
variable, such as the msg value ($V3) in this case, and re-assign the
pieces.

If you wanted to, you could intercept this trap in a ruleset, and use an
Action node (not an inline action) to call a script that you would write
which would parse the third variable into the pieces you want and issue a
new trap of your own devising with the different values as variables using
snmptrap.  Then you could define that trap in trapd.conf with Event
Configuration and set the slot values the way you want.   But other than
that, I don't see any alternatives.

Hope this helps.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support