Re: traps being processed

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: traps being processed
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 08:57:07 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Jan -

I don't mean to be rude but the nature of your question indicates some
fundamental misconception about rulesets.
So if I seem to be pedantic, I apologize, but I don't understand (yet) what
you don't understand.

Anyway, here goes.  All traps, regardless of origin, go to nvcorrd for
processing.  What he does with them depends upon what rulesets have
registered with him.  Every events workspace registers some ruleset or
other, the default being forwardall.rs, and it -- the workspace -- displays
what the ruleset forwards.  Now forwardall.rs has just two nodes in it: the
event stream initial node (the " purple pizza") and a Forward.  Since the
event stream node is set to PASS, all incoming traps are passed on to the
Forward node, and thus, all are displayed in the window, except those which
have been set to "Log Only" or Don't Log or Display" in Event
Configuration.  The events window process, nvevents, reads trapd.conf, and
suppresses traps which have been configured in this way.

You can control what is sent to the events window by using a different
ruleset than forwardall.rs  To do that you use the ruleset editor and
create a new one.  You could, for example, start with an initial node set
to PASS (to send all traps to the next node) and connect that to two trap
settings nodes, one which picks out Network Marginal and one which picks
out Segment Marginal, and have each of these followed by a Block.  Also
connect the initial node to a Forward.  Then all events will be forwarded
to the events window, but Network Marginal and Segment Marginal will have
the "block" attribute set, and nvevents will not display them.
Alternatively, you could configure those two traps to be 'Log Only" in
Event Configuration and get the same result.

If you have a ruleset which takes actions on specific traps, then you will
want to set the initial node to BLOCK so that only those traps which are
picked out in trap settings nodes or event attribute nodes and so on are
considered.  That is how you keep your ruleset from considering too much
data.

OK, now given this (meager) explanation, what did you mean when you said,

          >>I am only needing Interface Up/Down traps to be
          >>processed but, many other traps get processed along
          >>with them, which slows my system down.

What does your ruleset do with Interface Up/Down traps and how do you know
that your system is being slowed down?

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jan Green <greenjan@YAHOO.COM> on 05/19/99 07:00:26 AM