Re: traps being processed

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: traps being processed
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 19 May 1999 13:37:52 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
They are being filtered - by nvcorrd.  That's what the "Block" in the
ruleset does.  What you are asking,  I take it, is can they be pre-filtered
by some other process before they go to nvcorrd, and the answer is "No".

I could be wrong (not the first time) but I still think, however, that part
of the explanation is missing from your account.  80 traps a minute is only
a little over 1 per second, and I have not seen nvcorrd slow down as much
as you say under those conditions.  I have never seen a performance problem
with just traps coming from netmon, unless the rulesets were doing things
which required external checking (MIB queries, checkroutes, database
queries and that sort of thing which requires nvcorrd to wait for some
external process to complete).   Normally netmon cannot supply traps to
trapd (and on to nvcorrd) at a rate which will cause a slowdown.  So
who/what else is sending traps and how often do they do it?

Event traffic is by nature "bursty" and NetView relies on this.  A
sustained rate which never subsides will cause problems, as will a huge
burst, which doesn't get cleaned up before the next big burst arrives.

Are you looking for performance suggestions?   The number one thing is the
same as I told Art, don't send what you don't need.  One customer I know
did a study and found that on occasion they were getting over 100,000 traps
per day.  When they calculated how much bandwidth they were losing, they
instituted a policy of restricting agent traps to just those someone in the
network center was actually going to use to solve a problem.  Every one had
to have and action plan of the sort "when you get one of these, do this".
The result was that they reduced the amount of traps going to trapd by
something like 40 per cent.

But that may not be the only thing.   If you think you have a genuine
performance issue, then call Support.  They can look at what you are doing
and make suggestions.  They can also involve the Tivoli Performance Group
as well, if detailed analysis is required.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Jan Green <greenjan@YAHOO.COM> on 05/19/99 12:42:32 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>