Re: ovwdb - high CPU

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: ovwdb - high CPU
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 12:51:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
That's true but not recommended.  You see, if your cache is significantly
higher than the 5000 default, ovwdb will use more CPU and take longer to
initialize.  It allocates more cache when required, and then copies the all
the old objects into the new cache before destroying the old one.  And it
may have to do this several times if you set the size to zero.  Yes, it
works but most folks don't like the overhead or the time penalty for
complete initialization. So you save cycles by estimating the correct cache
size for him.   How many times has someone complained on this forum about
his NetView being slow and then reported that raising the cache size fixed
his problem?  When your estimate is too low, it builds the cache in the
same fashion as it does when you tell it to use zero.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"MENEZES, ALAIN" <a.menezes@ASLK-CGER.BE> on 05/20/99 12:39:08 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>