Re: Migrating files to another Netview server

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Migrating files to another Netview server
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:51:23 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I would use the migration process. Then move the resulting
backup filesystem to the new production system. When you
run the Netview install on the production system, it will pick up
the customizations. Nothing in there is dependant on which
TMR the management station belongs to,  or the level of
AIX it is running on. It is all Netview.

Netview 5.1.1 on AIX 4.2
Issue:
We are in the process of installing 5.1.1. We have installed 5.1.1 on a
development server. The production server is still running 4.1.3. The Network
people want a fresh install on the production server so that none of previous
configuration is kept. The thought is to make all of the configuration
customizations changes on the development box and move these changes to the
production server in hopes of minimizing downtime. So, 4.1.3 will be removed and
Netview 5.1 will be installed and patch 5.1.1 applied on the production server.
What is the smartest/easiest/best/most effective way to get the customizations
from the development to the production server? Use the migration script? Copy
/usr/OV from development and restore on production (and run reset_ci script)?
Manually copy the necessary files? Are we going to run into any hidden problems
with Tivoli in regards to sharing the config files between servers? Is this a
workable plan?

Side Note:
The development Netview server is part of our development Tivoli TMR. The
production Netview server will of course become a resource in the production
TMR.

Thanks for any info
Bob