Re: Netview NT 5.1.1/Optivity 7.01

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview NT 5.1.1/Optivity 7.01
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 22:40:41 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
When adding agents and vendors, yes, the right thing to do is
edit ovw_fields (for vendors) and snmp_fields (for agents). It is
ok because you are not adding fields, you are adding items
to the enumeration of existing fields.

this post was immensely helpful to me - the oid_to_sym file, as pointed out
below, contains instructions on relating a device to a particular symbol.

1) add the entries in oid_to_type and oid_to_sym (as you've done)
2) Add the entries to ovw_fields and snmp_fields (as you've done)
3) Run ovw_fields.exe
4) Restart the console

You should now see the entries at the bottom of the drop down list for
the vendor and agent.

Question: Is editing the ovw_fields and snmp_fields the proper way to
add vendors/agents? I read that you're supposed to create your own Field
Registration Files rather than editing the standard Netview FRF's. If so
how do you add entries to an enumeration data type as is required?

Regards,
 Matt Moore