Trap flooding event browser in NT 5.1

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Trap flooding event browser in NT 5.1
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 06:34:09 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Good day everyone,

I have encountered a very weird problem with a particular event in the
event browser.  I am getting flooded with this trap, about 4 a second
from five machines.  My event log size is set to 15000 events, and it's
getting filled up every few hours, and I am not seen any of the
important events.  I connected to the database, and the only events in
there are these events.  The trap is 58982415, the message is as:

Nameserver returned duplicate name
xxx.xx.xxx.xxx (172.25.67.237) for address 172.25.71.237; interface
172.25.71.237 will be deleted.

I did a nslookup on the name, and it had two address assigned to it.
These devices looks like printers, and have may have a loop back
address assigned to them.  I looked in trapd.conf, there wasn't an
entry for it, so I manually put one in there, and set to log only, but
it's still been stored in the event database and all the message are
getting purged every few hours.

Has anyone seen this problem?  I am running NT 5.1 version of netview.
What can i do to the message ignoree completely.

Thanks
Xu He
Network Solutions, Inc.