Re: NetView outsourcing - Anybody knows how is this done anywhere

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: NetView outsourcing - Anybody knows how is this done anywhere
From: "Art C. DeBuigny" <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Mon, 31 May 1999 16:15:04 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'll attempt to answer your questions where I have insight.

See my responses below.

Rozi-Ai Abd-Rahman wrote:

> Hi forum readers. I would like to find out the posibility of offering
>       Network Management System as part of
>
> outsourcing services to customer. The goal of this service is to maintain
>       and manage customers network
>
>  that are willing to subscribe to the services. I would like to find out
>       how is this done  somewhere else in terms of
>
> 1) The WAN setup from NMS the NMS to all customers subscribe to service
>       (Minimum setup)

There are several ways to make your connection, but you have to make
sure that SNMP can traverse that connection, and that it has the
bandwidth to handle the traffic.  You will also want to be very carefull
with route filtering, as this can make huge segments of the network
appear down when they are really functional.

> 2) Issues / concern tha might appear

Your customer might be *very* sensitive to bandwidth and traffic and
such, and security might be out of your control, making it harder to
deploy.

If you try to support several customers on the same NetView, you will
have to address the issue of IP address resolution.  If they both use
the private 10. network, there could be potential for IP address
overlap, and NetView will not create two objects with the same IP
address.   You will want solid documentation of what your customer has
so that you know which customer is affected by which outage.

> 3) Service level

The customer must define this.

> 4) Services implemented

Your customer must define this as well.  Certainly if I were
outsourcing, I would want at the very least netmon polling and trap
reception.  They may also want you to collect usage stats, bandwidth,
etc.  You'll deinitly have to offer them more than just NetView.

> 5) 3rd Party Network equpment intergration

Depends on the equipment the customer has, and the services you
implement for them.

> 6) How can NetView + NetView MLM be used to manage subregion / customer
>       network

It can distribute the polling, trap reception and rulesets to the
regions.  This can help alleviate traffic problems accross whatever
technology you use to connect to your customers network.  There are
costs associated with the MLM, and its totally dependant upon the number
of MLM's and the number of devices each MLM manages.  Most of your
impact is spent at Daemon and GUI startup, but once that is done
performance is okay.  Problem is, the more MLM managed objects you have,
the longer it takes to restart, hence the more downtime you have in the
event of an outage (scheduled or otherwise)

You also must know that the NetView server needs to have the same level
of visibility as the MLM, because NetView must first discover all
objects (except those on the MLM's subnet) before it can delegate
management to the MLM.

With larger networks, solid naming or IP addressing standards are needed
to make efficient use of the Collection Editor, which is what is used to
define your MLM managed objects.  If you don't have them, you may have
to manually enter the hostname of each object into its MLM domain.  This
can be time consuming, and difficult to maintain accurately over time.

> I appreciate if you could participate. You are wellcome to share your
>       implementation of NetView over maltiple
>
> over maltiple region since this can relate to this topics. I am very sure
>       many of you would like to find out about
>
> this since NetView is part of TME 10 System management.
>
> Thanks for your response.
>
> Ai

Hope this helps!

Art DeBuigny