Re: trap customization

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: trap customization
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 15:58:20 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Follow Ken's suggestion if you have no special reason to distiguish
the traps from each other and only want to change the format that is
displayed. But if you want a different format depending on content, you
will need to generate separate traps.

Here's an example of how to use the snmptrap command:
#!/bin/ksh
# Use to generate ifdown trap real enough to test T/EC

NVHOST=NETMGR              # the netview host
ABOUTHOST=RTR0001          # the node the trap is about or from
MYTRAPID=58916867          # Specific trap id (this is interface down)
ENTERPRISE='.1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3'   # Netview enterprise

/usr/OV/bin/snmptrap $NVHOST $ENTERPRISE $ABOUTHOST 6 $MYTRAPID 1        \
   .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.2 Integer 14                                   \
   .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.3 OctetString $ABOUTHOST                       \
   .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.4 OctetString "Interface BRI3/0 Down. CRITICAL" \
   .1.3.6.1.4.1.2.6.3.1.1.5 OctetString "10.37.206.3 9345678 123 124"

The oids that go with the variable bindings in this case are Netview oids.
The .3 is what Netview uses as $2 in events display formatting
and is usually the same as the 'abouthost' in the snmptrap
command. The last two match up with $3 and $4 in events display
formatting. I think the .2 identifies the source, as in N or A from
some enumeration somewhere. I always use 14. I forget why.

I would use the Netview enterprise, generic 6, then a range of
specifics depending on your groupings. The specific numbers
1000-1999 are reserved for customer use. Use the same oids for the
variable bindings as above, as many as you need to pass the data you
wantto pass. You could put all of it on one if you like. In your
action in the ruleset, parse out the values from the syslog trap and
fill them in on the snmptrap command.

The '1' to the right of the trapid is the timestamp.

Here's a simple stupid idea.  Instead of capturing the trap and then issuing a
new reformatted snmptrap, why not just redefine that specific trap to NetView in
its trapd.conf file?

For example, go to Options-->Event Configuration-->Trap Customization:
Highlight cisco, highlight the specific trap, select "copy" and then enter a new
event name but keep the same generic and specific numbers.  Select your sources
and then in the field for Event Log Message enter the following:

Router $A reports $4

where $A is the hostname issuing the trap and $4 is the datafield you wanted to
display.

Also you might want to add the same line in the data field for Popup
Notification.

Finally, call up the Trap Customization for the original trap, check the button
for "Status Events" and select "Don't Log or Display".

Regards,
ken
kgarst@giantofmaryland.com

Ok James, I'm attempting to create a test trap using the snmptrap command
(before I actually write the script) and I'm lost.  If I want the new trap to
basically read the same way as the original only adding some more text (to
possibly include a recommended action) how do I pass all the information from
the original trap to the script (ie. resource name that generated the trap
(firewall system), timestamp, all the other variables (specifically the
clogHistTextMsg))?  Actually, what is the exact format of the snmptrap command
if I want to basically read the incoming trap and spit it back out with all the
same info plus some additional info?  I did a 'man' for snmptrap, but I can't
seem to follow it.

James_Shanks@tivoli.com on 06/02/99 12:50:08 PM

Please respond to NV-L@ucsbvm.ucsb.edu