NetView Clients and X sessions

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: NetView Clients and X sessions
From: Art DeBuigny <debuigny@DALLAS.NET>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 10:39:35 -0500
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I was wondering if some of the Tivoli folks could lend their advice on the following situation.

We have a need to have many ovw sessions running at the same time.  The exact number seems to grow as we go along, so I was wondering what you thought the impact of the following scenario would be.

What if we had a series of NetView Client machines, and operators would open X sessions to those?  What would the overall impact on the server be for each operator in relation to if they opened an X session directly to the server?

If we wanted 20 ovw sessions, and spread them out over 4 clients, would the load on the server resemble that of 4 ovw clients, 20 ovw sessions, or some number in between?

Has anyone tried anything like this in there environment?

Art DeBuigny
Bank of America Network Operations