Re: adding enterprise mibs

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: adding enterprise mibs
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 12:59:19 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
As I understand it, you have loaded the mib for the Netscape
Enterprise Server into Netview (put it in /usr/OV/snmp-mibs and
used Options...Load/Unload MIBS successfully) and can see
the Netscape mib tree under the Private branch in the browser.

You have pointed the browser at a machine that IS a Netscape
Enterprise Server. That machine can answer other questions,
eg things under the Mgmt branch, but gives no answers when
you ask it questions from the Netscape MIB.

That tells me that either the snmp agent running on the TARGET
node does not know the answers, or is declining to tell you
what it knows. You mention that the Netscape doc told you to
edit the snmpd.conf on the Netview machine. That makes me
suspicious, because that file is for incoming queries, not outgoing.
Perhaps the instructions were to update the snmpd.conf on
the target box - the Netscape Enterprise Server? Maybe
something about the mask that says what parts of the mib tree
will be answered when a particular community string is used?
Or perhaps the necessary agent (and snmp extention of some
sort) is not running on the target node.

Hello,
   This is my first time writing to this list and i hope this question
doesnt sound too basic for everyone.
The place I work at is using Netscape Enterprise Server and wants to switch
from using written-from-scratch
monitoring programs to Netview.  However I am having trouble adding the mib
that is provided with the netscape
product.  Im sure there are similar things that must be done to add any
enterprise mib, so hopefully someone
will be able to help.  All the machines involved are running AIX.  And
according to the netscape docs, the only
thing I have to do is edit the snmpd.conf file on the machine running
Netview.  I of course also loaded the mibs
into Netview, and setup netscape to direct its snmp to the Netview machine.
However, whenever I run the mib
browser the mib variables for the netscape sub-tree all have no values.  I
can get values from other mib variables,
so it must be something specific to adding support for the netscape mib.
Any ideas?

Steven Martin