Re: loading Cisco mibs and traps

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: loading Cisco mibs and traps
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:48:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The traps script should work for Version 5 as well.  It uses the addtrap
command and the syntax is the same, except that it now supports even more
parameters than it did before.   If it is the script I tried the last time,
it will add about 400 Cisco traps to your trapd.conf.    I ran mine while
trapd was down.

As far as MIB's go, loading a MIB into NetView by itself does not define a
trap.  You would have to get the right MIB and run mib2trap, which produces
an addtrap script that you can then use to update trapd.conf.  But if you
are not at 5.1 or 5.1.1 I would not bother with it as it did not work well
in 5.0.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Juan Echevarria <echevarria@ES.IBM.COM> on 06/04/99 10:32:29 AM