Re: Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Why does netmon ping nodes with no maps open???
From: Mark Sklenarik <Mark_Sklenarik@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:34:27 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Whether the map is open or not, does not determine whether netmon is
polling or not. That's the way it is and always has been.  The reason
behind it is that netmon keeps up with a current status of devices in
network, so that when the map is opened, netmon does not have to poll every
device in the network to get a current status, thereby flooding the network
with icmp and snmp request.   The polling parameters with the map closed
are the same as those with the map open.

Thanks Mark Sklenarik
.
Tivoli NetView Product Integrity
.