Re: Nvevents App Defaults (was NetView security problems (was

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Nvevents App Defaults (was NetView security problems (was Exit on Signal 9)
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 10:53:15 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
First - please change the subject to be match what you are talking about
when you send items to the list.  This makes it easier for all of us.  OK?

If you are making changes to /usr/OV/app-defaults/Nvevents, then make
certain that you do not have a local copy of Nvevents in your $HOME
directory.  Those settings will take precedence.

This entry should make nvevents startup not attached to the map (your #1)
nvevents.outside              : True

And this entry should make it come up in list mode (your #3)
nvevents.initialPresCard      : False

But I don't understand your #2:
      2) Stop Control Desk.
If you start a process which is defined as running in the control desk,
then it will start as well.  If you don't want those apps to run in a
control
desk which is attached to the map, then you will have to edit their
app-defaults files and see if you can find an "outside"
entry for them as well.

Also, make sure the when you edit these files that you do NOT end your
changed entry with a trailing blank, i.e., if you type "True " rather than
"True", X will not return the correct value.   That's the way X works and
it can be troublesome.  I am usually careful about having at least one
space on either side of the colon, too, but that may be just superstition
on my part.

And finally, you may want to log out and back in again if you are using the
CDE, because sometimes Xdefaults don't get re-read correctly while your CDE
session is up.  I know that sometimes you can do a merge (xrdb -merge) but
I have also seen that fail too.

And yes, events are color coded based upon  the severity defined in
trapd.conf.  You can change this with Event Customization.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Steve Pirollo <spirollo@SUNGARD.COM> on 06/09/99 09:51:59 PM

      NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>