Re: FILE26.PKT error

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FILE26.PKT error
From: Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 16:06:34 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Mark Sklenarik wrote:

> We need more information.
> What does the rest of the message say, and have you checked the
> /tmp/NVS_xxx files.
>
> Thanks Mark Sklenarik
> .
> Tivoli NetView Product Integrity
> .
>
> Jon Needes <jon.needes@ATS.UK.EDS.COM> on 06/10/99 09:42:38 AM
>
> Please respond to Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on
>       NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
>
> To:   NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU
> cc:    (bcc: Mark Sklenarik/Tivoli Systems)
> Subject:  FILE26.PKT error
>
> We have just installed Framework 3.6.1 and NetView 5.1 on a new
> workstation.  When installing NetView a fatal error was reported. for
> Media Packet /tmp/tmeCDROM/FILE26.PKT. We did not see this problem when
> installing NetView 5.1 with Framework 3.2.
>
> I remembered seeing this problem reported before so I have searched the
> Archive for FILE26. I located some postings, but the responses did not
> seem to provide a solution.
>
> Despite the fact that a fatal error was reported NetView appears to have
> been installed and runs without apparent problems. I would be grateful
> if those who posted this problem before could respond with the solution
> they found, or let me know if the reported error is not a problem. of
> course if anyone else would like to respond that would br welcome too.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Jon Needes
> EDS, Hook, UK

Sorry, I did not provide more information as the problem was exactly the
same as one previously reported. We have found the cause of the problem
ourselves. The person who installed NetView was doing it for the first time
and he missed the steps for setting up the NetView server as a managed
resource. I had assumed that you would not be able to proceed with the
NetView installation without doing this but it turns out that you can with
just the one error reported. I hope this information is useful for others.

Sorry for any time wasted.

Jon Needes
EDS, Hook, UK