Re: Rulesets for TEC

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Rulesets for TEC
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 15:01:15 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Are you absolutely certain that nvserverd was stopped and restarted?  If
not, then he did not get the changed copy of the ruleset.   And you are
absolutely certain that the ruleset name in the /usr/OV/conf/tecint.conf
file is the correct one.  And
when you open that ruleset with nvrsEdit, it is the one you want, with the
initial node set to block.

Perhaps you should try this in stages.  If your ruleset is correct, then
you can bring up nvevents and pull down Create, and create a dynamic
workspace using the ruleset.  Then whatever you see in the window for that
ruleset is what will be forwarded to TEC (except that you won't see all the
ones that say "Log Only"  if there are any but TEC will get those too).
That may help you debug what you are doing.

The acid test of a ruleset is whether it works.  But you can think of it
this way:

Think of each node in the ruleset as a go/nogo switch on passing an event
along.
You start with the event stream and set every incoming event to BLOCK
(don't send this to the display)
Then you add trap settings to select the traps you want (  Is this the
right event?  If so, pass it along; else, drop it)
The you query your collection (Is the source of this event in my
collection?  If so, pass it along; else drop it)
Finally you have forward (send any event that made it this far to nvserverd
for final distribution)

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support