V.5.1.1/Solaris: Event History

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: V.5.1.1/Solaris: Event History
From: "Lemire, Mark" <mlemire@JHANCOCK.COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:29:04 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
We recently upgraded from V.5.0, but could never get the Event History to
work correctly under the older release.

With V.5.1.1, we have changed the default event log size to 2048kb which
appears to be the maximum size allowed (we changed this under Tivoli to make
it permanent).  We are also not using any filters in order to get all
historical events in ovevent.log.

Trapd.log was started on June 7th (9 days ago), is currently just under 3.5
meg and has over 26,000 events.  The current size of ovevent.log is nearly
1.3 meg, yet would appear to contain far fewer observable events than
trapd.log.  We can't seem to get more than a handfull (under 200) events to
display in the Event History display before ovevent.log rolls over to the
backup.  This takes place every few hours.  Our operators would like to use
Event History to review events from as far back as the previous week.  The
way it stands, we can't access the morning's events by early afternoon!

I wanted to get feedback from the forum before opening a PMR.  Has anyone
had better success using Event History?  Does anyone have any suggestion as
to what we may be doing wrong?

Thanks!

Mark