MLM problems

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: MLM problems
From: Rob Rinear <robr@DIRIGO.COM>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:08:10 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I'm having some problems with one of my MLM's, and I'm hoping someone can
give me some suggestions:

I  have 3 MLM's (AIX 4.x boxes) that are working by the book...installed
MLM, Netview found them and automatically set them up with NV as the trap
destination and created the Alias tables for the nodes in it's subnet.

But, the 4th MLM is giving me troubles.  The box was originally installed on
the subnet with Netview, then moved.  After the discovery cycle, Netview
properly creates aliases for the devices in its subnet, but also adds
aliases for many devices in the old subnet.  Although I've tried to clear
evey bit of the MLM configuration (smMlmCurrent.config files, etc), and
restart the MLM with the "-i" flag, and even with the -c flag pointing to a
config file I built, it eventually resets back to the incorrect set of
aliases.  So, I have an MLM at a remote site, coming back across a WAN to
manage my local network!

I've looked at the details of both the MLM and nodes that it incorrectly
picks up aliases for, and I see nothing that could be confusing Netview into
thinking they're on the same subnet.

Any experienced MLM'ers out there have any suggestions?  They're greatly
appreciated!

Rob Rinear
Dirigo Incorporated
Systems and Network Management Solutions
(513) 421-6500
robr@dirigo.com
http://www.dirigo.com