Re: snmpmib.bin format

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpmib.bin format
From: Martin Conway <martin.conway@BARCLAYS.CO.UK>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:14:31 +0100
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The 8260 Mib contains a table describing the contents of each slot in
the 8260 chassis known as the static summary table. When the ssvalues
variable requested, information is returned as an octet string which
contain BER encoded data as follows:

The OIDs and values of the objects to be summarized,
given as an octet string in the 'New Summary' format.

NEW_SUMMARY DEFINITION ::= BEGIN

IMPORTS TimeTicks FROM RFC1155-SMI;

Message ::= CHOICE OF {
Message_0
}

Message_0 ::= [0] IMPLICIT SEQUENCE {
timeStamp TimeTicks,
containments   CONTAINMENTS
}

CONTAINMENTS ::= SEQUENCE OF CONTAINMENT

CONTAINMENT ::= SEQUENCE {
prefix         OID,             -- Base OID
blocks         BLOCKS
}

BLOCKS ::= SEQUENCE OF BLOCK

BLOCK ::= SEQUENCE {
suffix  SUFFIX,
values  VALUES
}

SUFFIX ::= CHOICE OF {
SEQUENCE OF INTEGER, -- Indicies (i.e. slot.port)
NULL
}

VALUES ::= SEQUENCE OF VALUE

VALUE ::= SEQUENCE {
attribute       INTEGER,
data      DATA
}

DATA ::= CHOICE OF {
INTEGER,
OCTET STRING,
TimeTicks
}

END

As the returned data contains an OID relating to a particular
configuration item we can use published API calls to resolve the OID to
a more meaningful name. However, I could not see an equivalent API call
that could be used to look up enummerated data types from the integer
values used to represent them in the ssvalues string.

I was therefore hoping that I could use the snmpmib.bin file as a
lookup table an resolve enumerated values from their integer
equivalents. This would obviously avoid the need to deploy a seperate
MIB compiler or manually maintain a customised lookup table.

The prime driver for this work is the need to address shortfalls in the
product base suppported by the Nways/Tivoli Inventory Integration pack.
Namely, its lack of support for 8260 chassis and modules.

Having written the scripts required to recover and parse each ssvalues
string, the snmpmib.bin approach seemed to me to offer the quickest
method of identifying and displaying the values associated with the
enumerated data types recovered from the string.

If anyone has other thoughts on the problem, I'd welcome the input.