Re: snmpmib.bin format

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: snmpmib.bin format
From: James Kellock <jkelloc@IBM.NET>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 22:49:55 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
First of all, there is integration between the 8260 Hub Management
program search function that collects the port information and the
Tivoli inventory application.  I don't have the specific information
here, but if the dynatext docs are installed on your system, you should
be able to find it there.  If the inventory integration is not working,
you should open a PMR with Nways support.

(The static summary is the newer metnhod of reporting the port stats and
is dependent on the microcode level on the 8260.)

The port tables that report MAC addresses (and also IP address/hostname
if the device seen through the port is an IP device) are dynamic and
represent not just devices actually plugged into the ports but also MACs
seen through them (i.e., if an edge device (another hub or switch)is
crossed over into one of the 8260 ports). I'm not sure these port tables
are really in the purview of the inventory database because of their
dynamic nature.

But for the problem you pose in your actual question, about pulling info
from the hub, you do not require access to the snmpmib.bin file.  That
file is a binary version of the snmpmib file, which in turn is a file
constructed of all of the mibs that have been loaded either by default
or manually using the xnmloadmib compiler.

And you don't really even need the 8250-60 mib itself.  All you need are
the dotted MIB ids defined for the variables you want to poll from the
hubs.  This shouldn't have to be a table you maintain- the iterated list
of the port table MAC addresses will include the index for the slot and
port for whichever box the poll represents and should pull the data you
want.

This may be the route you have to go for a given situation you're
exploring because there is not guarantee of the currency of the search
database.  If you are seeing a problem and want to get the current data,
you'll probably want a fresh poll anyway.

I hope I haven't misunderatood the premise here, and hope this helps.

Jim Kellock.