Re: tec and rulesets...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: tec and rulesets...
From: Vladimir Petr <petr@DATASYS.CZ>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 07:43:43 +0200
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Hello, Erika;

erika ocaqa wrote:

> hello again...
>
> the netview is running over aix version 4.3.2 and the tec is running
> over NT server, i checked the file /etc/Tivoli/tec/cache and it is
> growning. The TEC continue without receive the events.I don4t have the
> 5.1.1 patch.How can i start the tecad? or what can i do?

Why would you start tecad (you mean tecad_nv6k, don't you?)? Although you can
use this adapter for NV to forward events to TEC,
I think using a built-in adapter will be simpler. That is, nvserverd will do
the job.
Just tell NV where the Event Server is, what ruleset will nvcorrd use (check
the ruleset you have set) and since your Event
Server sits on NT, you must set the port number on which the reception engine
is listening as the ServerPort parameter. To get
the port number, go to $BINDIR/TME/TEC/.tec_config where you will see it under
the tec_recv_agent_port parameter. So, you can
edit the file directly or use Tivoli Desktop to do this from the right-click
menu under Configuration>Configure event forwarding
to Tivoli...or use smit.

I would create a dynamic workspace with the same ruleset as is used for
forwarding events to TEC and see whether events show up
(you can send them manually). If you can see them, the ruleset works fine.

> other problem is that the events don't display in the event window, i
> sent a discover and the events displayed for a 30 minutes aprox. but
> after they stop, the file trapd.log is growing but the events don't
> display,

It depends upon what filters and ruleset you have set for your workspace. I
suppose you did not change event settings to
log-only or don't display. In NV 5.1 I have not seen problems with getting
events into the event display (doesn't mean there are
none).

i created other ruleset that it is configured for send events
> to tec and the file cache is growing. May be a ruleset can be the
> problem, but how can i repair it?

Look at it through the ruleset editor (nvrsEdit). Try to send some events and
see if they pass or not. If you change the
ruleset, run /usr/OV/bin/nvtecia -reload to make nvcorrd reread it without
restarting him. If they pass, look at the
TEC reception log by running wtdumprl if they arrived or not.

> thanks in advance

HTH,
Best regards,
Vladimir.

--
An Angel came to me and said. O pitiable foolish young man!