RES: MLM collection download process

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: RES: MLM collection download process
From: Elvis Melo Vieira <emvieira@ZAZ.COM.BR>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 12:51:18 -0300
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
I have been working with MLM for few days, but I observed some questions that I
am not sure because there are a little references for it (manuals, ...),
specially on NT.

1) I believe that all communications between MLM and NetView, after its
installation, is done by SNMP Messages. If we look in MLM MIB, we can see all
entities used to administrate, to create collects, discovering, etc. So, all
that Netview APM or MLM Configuration Application do is to set up these MIB
objects. I would like to get a confirmation this.
Therefore, without using APM, you can see the MIB objects of a MLM  (by using a
MIB browse in Netview) to check if all is OK.

2)  MLM is a subagent that communicates by SMUX protocol in Unix System ( I am
not sure
about Solaris). On NT, I don´t know how, but I think there is a similar process
because it is installed as a process that communicate with SNMP services.

3) Netmon has to be started with a option  to recognize MLMs subagents (like
-G). After that, netmon searchs  in the network´s  SNMP Agents to get MLM
subagents. If it find someone, it will delegate the discovering (if you ask)
and status monitoring to MLM subagent.  I think all these process is carried
out by SNMP messages.

4) I have some doubts. Using MIB browse, I saw that MLM for NT doesn´t have
Collection objects from MLM MIB. So I can not use NT MLM to do distributed
collects. In fact, when I tried to distribute some collects by APM, this
process failed. Is that right? I think so, and more : I think all you can do by
using NT MLM is discovering and status monitoring processes. Is that right?