Re: How could Netview send an Email ?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: How could Netview send an Email ?
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 1999 07:16:20 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
This solution has been posted here before:

>>If you are running on a unix machine and have access to a proxy server
>>you could pass the hostname ($NVA) and text message($NVATTR_3) to a
>>script which executes the command below.  I do this with a ruleset and
>>it works fine.

>>echo $NVA $NVATTR_3 | mailx -s "mailsubject" username@xxx.com

>>mailsubject = whatever you want the subject of the message to be

>>Of course this only works if the user has an internet id that you can
>>send the message to.

My only comments is that you should always use full path names so that you cn be
sure the daemons, who do not share your environment, execute the correct
command.  To do the same thing from the automatic action of a trap, you would
code:

echo $A $3 | /usr/bin/mailx -s "mailsubject" username@xxx.com

because the trap variables have a different format.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Louis Liu <Louis_Liu@CONSYS.COM.TW> on 07/12/99 12:03:57 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>