Re: Remote management of Netview/NT

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Remote management of Netview/NT
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 1999 06:17:37 -0700
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Matt,

I also uses PC Anywhere to get to my Netview Server.
Netview client over WAN is definately NOT an option.
Most of the client to Server traffic is Netbios over
TCP (SMB), it is nowhere close of being efficient.  I
did some traffic analysis on the Client to Server
Traffic, I saw 3-5KB/sec updates, that raises you WAN
overhead on a T1 by about 4%.  I am hopping two
routers to get to my Netview Server box over high
speed FDDI links.  I think the the latency from the
hops will causes serious response time problem.
PCAnywhere is probably the best option for remotely
administer Netview.  Not that I am a avid supporter of
PCAnywhere, it's an app that best suited for strictly
getting to the GUI, also probably most ban for the
buck.

Hope this helps
Xu He

--- "Clifford L. Crane" <Cliff_Crane@CARGILL.COM>