Re: Do Rulesets work in NT 5.1.1???

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Do Rulesets work in NT 5.1.1???
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 12:44:54 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
The NT and UNIX version of NetView are similar but not identical products.
NT does not have full-function rulesets, for example, but it does have things
like "attended MLM", which UNIX does not.
I do not have a document on the differences.  All white papers that are easily
available would be found off the Tivoli website, www.tivoli.com, and there are
some on NetView.  If you cannot find what you want there then you must contact
the marketing folks directly for further assistance. Being a techie and not a
marketer I cannot help you with documents and marketing materials.  I believe
you can email from the web page.  If not, then please call.

The skinny on rulesets in NT is this.  While 5.1 did port the correlation
daemon, nvcord (as he is called in NT) not all of his UNIX functions work and
there is no utility like nvrsEdit, the graphical ruleset editor, to create new
rulesets on NT.   There are some pre-built ones which are available to run.
The primary use of rulesets on NT is in the form of "filters".  You can select
to have the Event Browser display "filtered" by a ruleset, and that is what
these are primarily for.

While you could construct a ruleset on UNIX and ftp it to NT to be run, there
are several restrictions.  Foremost is that nvcord on NT does not support action
processing (there is no actionsvr daemon to hand actions to) though in-line
actions will work.
Ditto for the built-in paging function of rulesets.  It doesn't work on NT,
though there is a paging function provided in the NT version, but calling it
from a ruleset is not supported at this time (though you can call it from the
automatic action of a trap, which is how many folks use it).  The rulesets
provided will give you an idea of the functions which can be used on NT if you
choose to try the roll-your-own approach from UNIX.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Don Seitz <don_seitz@INS.COM> on 07/15/99 11:58:50 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>