Re: Network map save/restore

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Network map save/restore
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 21:49:46 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Note that your own postings don't get copied back to you, only
the respnses. Here's one...

Sorry, there is no way to save the map while rediscovering the
network, or automating the re-drawing. (Assuming that's what Robomap does).

In preparation for the rediscovery they will want to do a few things to
speed up the process. One is to extract lists of all of the routers, hubs,
switches, servers, etc that they want to rediscover. This seedfile
should make rediscovery happen in minutes and not days. Try
ovtopodump -rl and awk out the things that are gateways, etc.
Or dump collections with nvUtil.

The other is to review the cut/paste job, take pictures or write down
what the organization was. Collection definitions are saved automatically
if you use the rediscovery under 'Control... Restart Automatic Map
Generation'. The only things they should be cutting and pasting
are the routers and networks, so it can't really be that bad.

I make a point of not investing a lot into the cut/paste job until I
know I have a good discovery, and of not making too many
levels of heirarchy because it 1) takes too long to recreate if
needed, and 2) causes too much drilling down when something
is yellow.

I assume they have to do the rediscovery because of some
corruption. Either that, or they have re-addressed the whole
network. But for the former case, it is of course best to have a
backup to go to rather than having to rediscover. Perhaps they
have one from before the badness happened? Restoring to
that and letting it sync up might be an option. Anyway , whenever
I get a map that I really like, I take a database backup.
(tar -cvf /usr/OV/databases/openview)

Is there a product similar to Onion Peel's RoboMap for NetView v5 on AIX? My
customer needs to delete and redefine their entire database of 20,000
objects, and they have put a huge amount of effort into customising their
maps.

Regards...

Peter Farr
Network Systems Engineer
International Network Services (INS) Canada
Pager: (800) INS-1-INS or (888) 548-6174