Re: Netview NT 5.1.1 Console

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview NT 5.1.1 Console
From: "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVBANK.COM>
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 1999 15:21:31 -0400
Sender: Discussion of IBM NetView and POLYCENTER Manager on NetView <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>
Ok, I got it. So you just call a batch file that does this copy everytime you
lauch the client gui?

>>> Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM> 07/16 3:04 PM >>>
The client doesn't know a thing about the server map.
In the UNIX version, the client uses a X-windows
connection to look at the same map as the server.
Therefore you really only need to customize on map.
In NT, the map files resides on the client, and it's a
pain to synchronize the map.  In my case, since my
maps are still named default, so I just copy all of
the files from the
\usr\ov\databases\openview\mapdb\default to the client
directory.  This will replace the clients map.  Take a
look at the getservermap.bat, I think the syntax is:

getservermap 'netview drive share letter' 'name of the
map'

Xu He

--- "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVBANK.COM> wrote:
> Ok, thanks. If the client and the server console
> display the same map name how does the client know
> internally where to get the map from?

> Todd,
>
> I am not certain about your scenario.  When you
> refer
> to the console, I am assuming you meant the client.
> know there are times when the certain object for
> some
> reason remain on a client's map even though I know I
> delete it.  I am not certain the reliability of the
> update mechanism, since it is running over NetBEUI.
> When I did a sniffer trace, the client seem to copy
> down a update file every few seconds.
>
> Here's what I did, it may not apply to people with
> multiple maps.  Because I created my map on the
> server, I wrote a script that copies the server map
> the client every time the client restart.  Thus the
> clients maps are nearly identical to the server one.
> The batch file I modified is somewhat resembles the
> getservermap.bat, in the \usr\ov\bin directory.
>
> Hope this helps
> Xu He
>
> --- "Todd E. Lewis" <telewis@PROVBANK.COM> wrote:
> > I'm having a problem with a Netview console not
> > being synchronized with the server as far as the
> > smartsets are concerned. Is there a way to fix
> this?
> >

> ===
> Xu He
> Consulting Services Engineer