Re: Discovering IPX devices

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Discovering IPX devices
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:04:52 -0400
Are your IPX devices IP-enabled?  If they are not also participating directly in
TCP/IP and have SNMP or SNMP-proxies then NetView will not know about them.  The
alternative to that is to use Novell's Managewise and integrate that with
NetView, or so I am told.  Here's an old append about that subject which you may
find helpful.

There is a redbood, SG24-2532 Integrating Netware Management with Netview.
It is from 11/95, and is still listed on the redbooks website
(www.redbooks.ibm.com - I think this is a pubic site). Anyway it is about
importing IPX topoplogy into Netview.
It was from the days before everyone's Netware clients were IP-enabled. It uses
that function under the Administration menu tab for openmon  (is that what it is
called? Is it still there?). Anyway it takes a topology feed from the
Managewise console and I believe it did require an add-on at that end from
Novelle.

But lately I think most folks are letting Netview get the information it
wants via IP and SNMP.

Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Tehmina Khan <Tehmina_Khan@NORTHDOOR.CO.UK> on 07/30/99 04:18:18 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>