Re: xxmap process incorrectly parented

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: xxmap process incorrectly parented
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 09:21:07 -0400
Clues I have, but solutions I don't, since NetView V4 is out of support.
When you close the NetView GUI, ovw sends shutdown  requests via a call back
mechanism to each of its registered applications.  It waits up to two minutes
for them to go away, and then just closes itself.  So what is happening here is
that something xxmap is doing on shutdown is hanging or looping and he does not
go away.  When his parent, ovw does go away, then xxmap gets re-parented by the
next higher process (This is standard UNIX behavior).

So what is wrong with xxmap that is won't close down?  I don't know.  You could
format the nettl logs and look to see if there are error messages for it in the
output  (netfmt -f /usr/OV/log/nettl.LOG00 > formatted.LOG01 and then browse
that file).  If you were working with Level 2 they would advise you to run a
tool they have called dbxprof, which attaches to a running process several times
in a short  time interval and gets a stack trace so you can see what that
process is doing.  dbxprof is just a script to run dbx -a <pid> multiple times,
so if you are familiar with that then you could do it yourself.  But as NetView
V4 is already out of support, I don't know what good the information would do
you exactly.   And your V4 system si not even at the latest code level, but in
fact two levels back:

     Server  V4                       Client V4
      U451880 (12/22/97)     U451881 (12/22/97)
     U453385 (09/01/98)     U453386 (09/01/98)
      U459387 (12/11/98)     U459388 (12/11/98)

I thought we recommended that you apply the latest level of V4 to your system
before migrating, but as that is not my specialty, I suggest you call Support
and ask them about that (migration that is).

Good luck

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"David E. Dimond" <dimond@allina.com> on 07/28/99 02:19:27 PM