xxmap process incorrectly parented

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: xxmap process incorrectly parented
From: "David E. Dimond" <dimond@allina.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 13:19:27 -0500
Platform:

Server = 7025-F50 w/AIX 4.2.1 - nv6000.base.obj 4.1.2.0.U451880

Client = an old 390 w/AIX 4.2.1 - nv6000.client.obj 4.1.2.0.U451881

I have four clients that installed with out a hitch.  Prior to
installing v5.1.1 (which currently resides in a box under my desk),
I decided to install one more client.  This one also went well with
one exception:

Exiting the GUI strands the xxmap process, and subsequent startups
(using the command 'nv6000') produce the following error message:

WARNING: One or more processes are incorrectly parented.
  PID  PPID COMMAND
 xxxx     1 xxmap
Run the following as root user to try to correct the problem.
  /usr/OV/bin/nv6000_smit OVWAPPINITSTOP

Execution of this command issues a 'kill -9 xxxx,' and the stranded
process goes away.  But the next time you startup and then exit
the GUI the process gets stranded all over again.

I did notice that while the GUI is up the xxmap process parent is
ovw - as expected - but upon exiting the GUI the parent reverts to
PID=1, or /etc/init.  I'm also exporting the display back to the
server so I don't have to actually visit the client, which resides
in another city.

Any clues?

TIA

Dave Dimond