Re: Tivoli Network Connectivty Manager

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Tivoli Network Connectivty Manager
From: Xu He <xuhe@YAHOO.COM>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 11:03:10 -0700
Yes.  We are using TMNC.  It is certainly a nice tool
for forwarding  message to TEC.  The beauty of it is
that it works right out of the box.  I think it only
checks the Critical or Node-up messages, and send a
summarized event to TEC.  I get about 2000 messages a
day; TMNC only reports about 20~40 events, and closes
them when the device comes backup.  The only slight
draw back is that when Tivoli licensed TMNC from
SMARTS (System Management ARTS), I don't think they
licensed the development kit.  Therefore, you can't
create customized rules, and use the SMARTS Codebook
correlation engine, which is much faster than the TEC
rule-bases correlation engine.

Couple of things to watch for:

1.  Get the TMNC 1.01 patch, there's a huge memory
leak in the 1.0 release.

2.  You may have to increase the correlation interval.
 Sometimes, events doesn't show up at the Netview
server for the correlation to work efficiently.

3.  Your netview Map has to be very clean (i.e. no
phantom objects in the ovwdb, no old WAN segments that
didn't get cleaned upon topology changes, etc )

Hope this helps
Xu He
===
Xu He