Re: SNMP Monitoring

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: SNMP Monitoring
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 20:08:36 -0400
Actually, snmpCollect knows, and writes it down in the snmpCol.trace file
and I have always wished it would report it more loudly. Check the trace
file and you will see a report that the node is not responding to snmp, and
collection on that node is deferred, for an hour by default (I usually knock
that down to 15 minutes).  You might try monitoring that file for the words
in the message, maybe with a Tivoli logfile adapter, if you are a full
Tivoli shop, or with the SIA and MLM/APM. The SIA has the ability to
report on the presence or absence of strings in a file. Then you would
receive a trap when snmpCollect noticed the agent was down.

VInce;

I know of no way to get NetView to generate a trap when a device looses its
ability to talk SNMP.  I suppose you can write a script to periodically try
an snmpget on a device and then manually send a trap to NetView when a
failure occurs.

Art DeBuigny
debuigny@dallas.net
art.debuigny@bankofamerica.com