Distributed Platform Discovery

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Distributed Platform Discovery
From: "Karl J. Unger" <Karl_J._Unger@NEWYORKLIFE.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 09:30:28 -0400
We are currently reviewing tools that have auto discovery capabilities that
would provide us an alternative to the manual efforts in maintaining an
inventory of our distributed File Servers. (i.e UNIX, WIN/NT, HP, SUN).   Tools
under the Tivoli Umbrella are Netview, GEM, and LAN Access that are documented
as having AUTO-DISCOVER capabilities.

We would like to evolve our inventory process to have both hardware and software
components that are implemented on the distributed platforms surveyed and
reported on without having to manually enter our existing environment and
upgrades on the platforms that occur during the life cycle.

To start:
Of the Tivoli product line,  I believe Tivoli Netview seems to be the
appropriate product of choice.  To use this tools, what is the hardware and
software requirements for running it.  Does it require specific applications to
be running on the distributed platform for the discovery to recognize it.   Does
it provide graphical representation of the distributed environment?  In the
Tivoli Framework,  can user fields be defined to allow specific information for
inventory purposes be maintained and updated on the distributed platform?

Any information to assist with evolving an automated approach for maintaining an
Distributed platform inventory would be appreciated.