MSG: unable to establish connection to netmon daemon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: MSG: unable to establish connection to netmon daemon
From: "Chance, Larry" <lchance@SFBCIC.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:21:43 -0500
[NetView for NT]

I just configured a device on the network to forward traps to NetView.  Boy
did it forward.
It started sending traps every 4 to 5 seconds.  The details showed no
duplicates.  Each trap
was unique.  Is it the vendor's SNMP agent for the device that will have
control of these traps?
I do not have the MIBs for it.  I did see vendor documentation of MIBs for
Unix.  Will I
need to convert Unix MIBs to NT MIBs?  What will I use to make the
conversion?

When I tried to demand poll the device (during the rapid-fire traps) I got
Unable to establish connection to netmon daemon on server.

The netmon daemon must be running on the server.

Also, check \usr\ov\log\nv.log on server for possible errors.

Local error: Waiting for a process to open the other end of the pipe.

Of course, netmon daemon was running on the server.  It never stopped.  When
I checked nv.log, I had this message:

08/09/99 07:21:47 [nmdemandpoll] Unable to establish connection to netmon
daemon on server. The netmon daemon must be running on the server. Also,
check \usr\ov\log\nv.log on server for possible errors. Local error: Waiting
for a process to open the other end of the pipe.

The log entry was the same as the Demand Poll message.  I changed the device
back to not forwarding traps and reset it.  All is back to normal.

Is this expected of netmon daemon when trapd is overloaded?  Or should I
back off netmon's polling timers?

Thanks,

Larry