Re: Problem for represent meaningful information in action box of

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Problem for represent meaningful information in action box of
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 08:49:00 -0400
I don't know what the variables in this particular trap from an 8260 mean but
you should have received documentation with the 8260 that will tell you.  An
alternative is to go out to the http://www.networking.ibm.com web site, find the
section on the 8260 and see if there is a MIB you can download or more
documentation there.

It is up to each agent what to put in a trap.  There is no universal standard.
So each vendor must define, either in a MIB or elsewhere, what his traps mean.

You must also understand at least this much, that it is unlikely that you will
be able to write one simple ruleset to cover all cases of what you want to do.
It is far more likely that you will have to write several different rulesets
(one for certain NetView traps, one for IBM 8260s, one for Cisco routers, and so
on ) or else one more complicated ruleset, using multiple Trap Settings, and
possibly multiple actions,  to handle all conditions.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Sin Wai Yee, Maggie" <mwysin@KCRC.COM> on 08/08/99 10:10:58 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>