Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in action

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in action
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:13:43 -0400
Maggie -

First, NetView 5.0 is not supported.  You MUST install NetView 5.1 and then
apply maintenance to 5.1.1 -- in fact 5.1.2 will be out shortly.  I would also
call Support and get any emergency fix packages that you need for 5.1.1. to tide
you over until 5.1.2 comes out.  There is no point in installing MLM at the
level of code you have, unless you then plan to do it all again later.

(A) There are only going to be as many $NVATTR_x variables as there are
variables in the trap.  If the trap only has 15 variables, then only $NVATTR_1
through $NVATTR_15 will be provided.  The others will be NULL.   I think you are
still ignoring my explanation and trying to find things in the trap which are
not there.  You have to find out what all the variables mean and supply your own
formatting in the action node.

(1)  MLM and NetView for UNIX should not be installed on the same box.  So there
is no reason to change the trap port, but if for some strange reason you insist
on MLM and NetView for UNIX on the same box, then midmand must get a new port.

With NT, MLM for NT and NetView for NT can be installed on the same NT box.
This configuration is called an "attended" MLM and you will find information
about it in the \usr\ov\doc\netview_mlm_readme.htm  file.  But this is only
available in NetView V5.1 and later.

(2) When netmon is started it automatically goes looking for MLMs.  When it
finds one, it updates the object and topology databases and then queries the MLM
to off-load polling if you have configured it for that.  From then on it just
status polls the MLM.  If the MLM fails to respond, then netmon automatically
takes over polling of the devices MLM was polling.  Please read all the
documentation on this that you can before implementing this function.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Sin Wai Yee, Maggie" <mwysin@KCRC.COM> on 08/11/99 11:34:20 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>