Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in actionbox

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in actionbox
From: Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 08:29:52 -0700
James Shanks wrote:

> <snip>

> (1)  MLM and NetView for UNIX should not be installed on the same box.  So
> there
> is no reason to change the trap port, but if for some strange reason you
> insist
> on MLM and NetView for UNIX on the same box, then midmand must get a new port.

I'm a little worried that you say that.  It seems to be a good thing to do so
to me,
but perhaps I'm missing something.  When you install MLM on the Netview box, it
automatically disables MLM from listening on the trap ports, and leaves that
function to Netview.

The reason I think its a nice thing to do is that the MLM has more flexible
thresholding and analysis than native Netview, and lets you use the APM more
fully
(if you dont have any other MLMs)

Is there really a reason not to run it on the same (AIX) box?