Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in actionbox

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: FW: Problem for represent meaningful information in actionbox
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:12:58 -0400
Well, Steve, MLM did not used to automatically disable midmand from listening
for traps.  If it does now, great.  I don't install, configure, run, or debug
code on MLM, and my experience was that it caused more problems than it solved.
If you aren't using it for status polling, then sure, I don't see why you
couldn't install it that way.  But you certainly cannot do the same kind of
"attended" thing you can do with NT.   In that case, midmand and netmon actually
talk with one another, and that code is most definitely not in the UNIX flavor.

Since what Maggie was doing was an initial install for status monitoring I still
would recommend that she not install MLM on the same box as NetView.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

Steve Francis <steve.francis@COMMSERV.UCSB.EDU> on 08/12/99 11:29:52 AM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>