Re: trapd.conf

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: trapd.conf
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 12 Aug 1999 12:45:08 -0400
You should edit trapd.conf only with the Trap Settings dialog.  That way you
cannot screw it up.  We don't document anything else for that reason.  But if
you insist on another editor,  you need to make a backup copy first.  The order
of the fields and the order of the information in the fields is partly
positional, and I have not tried removing the enterprise and leaving the traps
underneath it, but that could cause a problem as well.

If you should screw it trapd.conf, then trapd may not start (or re-start) since
any edits you do outside the GUI will not take effect until you either restart
trapd (when he reads the entire trapd.conf into memory) or do a special event
command
     event -e FMTCHG
(which should cause a reload -- the GUI does this under the covers).  If you
have messed up the file significantly, then it won't load and you will get a
message which will try to tell you what line of the file is the first one he has
a problem with.
My advice -- don't do it.  Editting via our GUI is not that much slower or more
difficult.

Now comes the real question -- what problem are you trying to solve by deleting
these unused enterprise ids?    File size isn't usually an issue here -- you
won't significantly affect trapd initialization nor run time-- so why bother?

And I am afraid I don't understand the rest of your question -
>>   Also, is it documented someplace what all these Enterprises are used with?
Such as:
rsvpNotifications
workgroup
vtpNotificationsPrefix
and on & on

These are not NetView items so I don't see how they are or could be affected.
The only thing that is affected is,  if you get a trap from some other vendor's
software or device, whether it is already formatted on the Event Browser screen
or not.

Perhaps that's the whole issue here --  a misunderstanding about what an
enterprise id represents?

PS:  I didn't follow your remarks about nv.carriers.  I use notepad.exe to edit
it all the time.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"Chance, Larry" <lchance@SFBCIC.COM> on 08/12/99 11:50:58 AM