From Discovery to Symbol on Map...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: From Discovery to Symbol on Map...
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 08:29:04 -0400
See notes below..

>Hello All.

>Could someone tell me if I have this concept correct? I am trying to
>determine the process from when netmon discovers a node to when it gets
>drawn on the Map. From what I am reading, the files involved are:

>1. snmp_fields - matches the agent of the discovered node to the agents list
>in /usr/OV/fields/C/snmp_fields. If this files is manually updated, run ovw
>-fields. ??

Not really.This one is used to provide an enumeration of agents from which
to fill in the oid_to_type file. There is also a list of vendors in the
ovw_fields file which is used as an enumeration from which to fill in the
oid_to_type file. Edit the file manually, and run ovw -fields. These
values will show up in the Agent and vendor fields in the object info for
a device if you do it right.

>2. oid_to_type - ??

This file matches snmp sysObjectIds with vendors, agents, and a code that
tells netview what level of the submap heirarchy a device belongs on.
The device is queried for its sysobjectid (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.17, eg), and
netview looks here to see the vendor, agent, and a G or a H which tells
it that this is a gateway or a hub. If the vendor or agent fields are
not exact matches with entries in the fields files, those fields will
not be filled in in the agent info. I see this a lot with 3rd party apps.
They fill in the oid_to_type, but don't update the fields files. Not
a big problem, unless you want to make collections based on the vendor
field. You should update this file using the Tivoli desktop context menu.

>3. oid_to_sym - matches the sysObjectId to the appropriate map symbol.
Yes.

>Is this the correct order. Have I missed anything here? When you install
>CiscoWorks2000, will it update all of these files with the latest Cisoc
>OIDs, agents, etc.

Netview 5.1 came with a greatly extended list of agents for Cisco.Cisco2000
will undoubtedly add entries to oid_to_type, but perhaps not all. I like
to make sure every object has the agent and vendor fields filled in, so
I make a collection of things where snmp is supported but the vendor is
unset. Check the object info (Tools.. display object info) and make a note
of the OID and glean the vendor and agent from  the sysDescription.
Then I go back and add entries where needed - to the fields files,
then ovw -fields, then oid_to_type, then oid_to_sym if needed (G or H or B
in oid_to_type will get you router or hub symbols without adding anything
to oid_to-sym) (using the Tivoli menu), then stop netmon, delete the nodes
in the collection, close the map, ovstop, ovstart. When the nodes are
rediscovered they will have all of the fields filled in and be at the correct
levels of the map.