Constant multicast by netmon

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Constant multicast by netmon
From: Jane Curry <jane.curry@SKILLS-1ST.CO.UK>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 12:59:41 +0100
AIX 4.2.1 with latest patches, Fwork 3.6.1, NV 5.1.1, Nways V2.

I have started seeing constant multicast SNMP packets (~30 / sec) being
sent by netmon to 224.0.0.1 (ALL-SYSTEMS.MCAST.NET) with the community
name of  my NetView system (which doesn't apply to everything else).
netmon does a total CPU hog, traffic is crazy, lots of systems are
sending community name traps.  If I try and delete my NetView machine's
224.0.0.1 interface, it seems to delete the whole node and, I think core
dumps.  The node gets rediscovered back and it rediscovers the 224.0.0.1
again which it seems to think is an HSRP interface!

What's changed I hear you ask??  Well, I've just installed Nways V2 - is
this coincidence??  I have now ensured that when NetView daemons and
EUIs start, they don't bring up Nways but it's still happening. Next
step is to completely clear all the databases.

If this rings any bells with anyone, PLEASE share.
Thanks,
Jane
--
Tivoli Certified Enterprise Consultant