Re: Netview Discovery - Newby needs help

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Netview Discovery - Newby needs help
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 15:19:48 -0400
First of all, almost everyone's object database contains a few hints and stub
objects.  These are created as a result of new node discovery.  netmon reads the
ARP cache of the nodes he does know and builds these hints to flesh out later.
If he cannot get to them, or your seedfile says he shouldn't, then they remain
as hints.

What is in your seedfile?  If you are using entries based on wildcards or OIDs,
then a large number of hints and stubs can be normal.  When you do that, these
stub objects represent addresses which netmon found that you don't want in
topology or on the map.  But there has to be some record of them somewhere.
Ovtopofix will remove them, but as soon as you start new node discovery again,
they will come back.  I would guess that your new position in the network gives
you visibility to  a lot more nodes than it did before, which is often what
happens when you move from test to production.

Your choices to change this behavior are
(1) use a different kind of seedfile -- one which specifically lists the id's
you want to discover only plus an invalid range to limit netmon to just what is
in the file.
(2) turn off new node discovery and run ovtopofix, and don't turn it on again,
unless you create a seed file as discussed in (1)
(3) raise your ovwdb cache size accordingly and understand that these objects
in the object database are there to prevent unnecessary work by netmon after he
has put the stub in the database.

netmon's job is to discover your network.  If you only want him to discover a
small portion of it, then you must accept the fact that either you will do the
work in specifying the seedfile, or netmon will do the work building stub
objects.  It is a trade-off on who puts in the work.

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support

"McCarter, Bill" <mccarter_we@NNS.COM> on 08/19/99 12:13:49 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>