Re: Can't run Dyna text online browser

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Can't run Dyna text online browser
From: Michael Jaedike <mjaedike@VENATORGROUP.COM>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:39:58 -0400
Wenlong Wang  wrote:

I just installed Dyna text online browser and books on the TME 10
NetView Server (Version 5). Unfortunately, I can not start Dyna text
online browser.

I tried to type the command: 'dtext' on a terminal. But it failed.  It
output the following information:

    Can't find config file '.ebtrc'
    Your .ebtrc does not point to a valid DATA_DIR

I also tried to get help information from the NetVIew Help Menu bar. But
a small GUI showed the following information forever:

    Starting Dialog_popup....

I did not install Tivoli/Dynatext Browser Patch as instructed in the
book, because there is no such Ptach in the TME 10 NetView CD-ROM
(Version 5.1).  Instead, the CD-ROM contains Dyna Text Online Browser
So I installed it

Wenlong,

I just went through the same thing installing the Dynatext browser and books.
I'm not sure if my fix will
work for you but check it out. I'll copy the text for what to do from the PMR I
opened on the problem.

SUPPORT RESPONSE:
                   It does appear to be the problem I first suspected. The

                   /etc/group file has a group with a large number of members

                   (staff). The nvbooks installation performs a grep on

                   /etc/groups to obtain information about the system group

                   prior to issuing a chgrp (to ensure we can update a file

                   later in the installation). Even though it isn't the line

                   we are after, the grep command is failing because a single

                   line in the file contains more than 2048 characters, a

                   limitation of the grep command. APAR IX86684 is open on

                   this problem and it will be fixed in the next release of

                   NetView.

                   .

                   In the meantime, we have no way to alter the installation

                   script ahead of time to prevent this problem. The only

                   known workaround at this time is to backup the /etc/group

                   file and temporarily replace it with a copy that does not

                   include the staff group line (or a much shorter copy). This

                   should need to be done only long enough to install the

                   NetView books, then the group file restored with the

                   original. The books install should take only a minute or

                   so.

                   .

                   Please let me know if this works for you. The grep failure

                   is early in the install, which accounts for there being no

                   NV_1_0_4_BIN flag file to have to delete. You should be

                   able to simply try the books installation after making the

                   /etc/group change.
I hope this helps. Let me know if it does.

Michael Jaedike - Software Analyst
Venator Group Inc.