Authentication Failure with Community Names

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Authentication Failure with Community Names
From: "Chance, Larry" <lchance@SFBCIC.COM>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1999 11:21:16 -0500
[ NetView for NT ]

I have devices with two Community Names.
Public and CommPrivate (example).
Default is Public.  I'm trying to migrate all devices to CommPrivate.
If I put CommPrivate in SNMP Options as a wildcard then I get my traps from
the CommPrivate devices just fine,
but then I get Authentication Failures from the devices in Public.
Then if I switch them around I get just the opposite.
The file, communitynames.conf, has both names but SNMP must not be allowing
authentication with both.
Is there a way to get authentication's from both without the Authentication
Failures traps?  How is it done?

Also, I always get a Dr. Watson trap (Internal to NT) when I put in a
wildcard IP address: *.*.*.*

Many thanks,

Larry