Re: Trap with 0.0.0.0 instead of IP-address

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Trap with 0.0.0.0 instead of IP-address
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 13:24:55 -0400
It sounds like Oracle is providing 0.0.0.0 as the agent address in the trap.  If
there were a valid IP Adrress there, trapd would display that or the hostname it
resolves to.  But the only thing you can do (other than discuss this with
Oracle) is to turn on the trapd trace with a hex dump of all packets and get a
hex dump of the incoming trap.  That or an IP trace will verify what is actually
in the trap.  But if it is really 0.0.0.0 you will still have to call Oracle
about it.

If you have not done anything like this before, I would call Support for
assistance.  If you want to get the trace yourself and look at it, then use the
Tivoli Framework (or SMIT on AIX only) to alter the configuration for the trapd
daemon.  Make it say "hex dump all packets" is "YES".  This will cause trapd to
run with the -x option (you can see if with a ps -ef).  You will then must turn
the trace off and on as needed at the command line.  You enter  just  "  trapd
-T  ".  This will toggle the trace on if it is off, and off if it is on.  When
you get one of these funny traps, turn the trace off and match up the entry in
trapd.log with the one in trapd.trace using the timestamp.  In the hex dump of
the trap look in the first hundred bytes for the sequence  x'40 04' . The "40"
means "IP Address" and the "04" is the length of what follows.  I'll bet the
next four bytes are "00 00 00 00".

Hope this helps

James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support