Re: how to edit the ovobjdb?

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: how to edit the ovobjdb?
From: Leslie Clark <lclark@US.IBM.COM>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 11:53:55 -0400
Netview pays no attention whatever the system names as defined in the internal
snmp configuration of the box. It relies entirely on name resolution of the
interface
addresses. I believe what you were changing were the labels, which is usually
not worth the effort.

You say:
.I find this very frustrating, since we have a few machines
with multiple interfaces for different purposes, but only
refer to them by their internal name.

And this is the usual case. What you call the 'internal name' is what should be
in
DNS or in /etc/hosts for ALL of the ip addresses that are configured in the box.
In /etc/hosts you put in an entry for each address, and you put the SAME name
next to each of them. Delete and rediscover the device or box, and Netview
will rediscover it, label it with that name, and add all interfaces underneath
it.

Note that for Netview to realize that these addresses are on the same device
it is best if  the device has snmp enabled, and it has ipforwarding turned on.
But
even in the absence of this, Netview will make a guess based on the name
resolution and draw the device as a 'router', ie something with more than one
interface, and promote it to the top level of the map (IP Internet level
submap).

If your DNS is returning different names for each interface, you can override
that
in the /etc/hosts in the Netview box. Make a file /etc/netsvc.conf and put in it
the
line
   hosts=local,bind
and AIX will resolve the names using the hosts file before checking DNS.

Note: SP nodes often are configured without snmp enabled and without
ipforwarding enabled; the nodes then show up as separate hosts, all at
the lowest level of the map heirarch (segment level submap). If you think of
them as all the same system, you could just put all of the addresses in the
hosts file with the same name. Or talk to your DNS guys about reverse-lookup.

(248) 552-4968 Voicemail, Fax, Pager

---------------------- Forwarded by Leslie Clark/Southfield/IBM on 08/29/99

Sean Aaron <sean.aaron@UCOP.EDU> on 08/27/99 08:49:43 PM

      <NV-L@UCSBVM.UCSB.EDU>