Re: Ruleset with action and correlation.

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: Re: Ruleset with action and correlation.
From: James Shanks <James_Shanks@TIVOLI.COM>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 12:40:28 -0400
In addition to what Gary said about using the reset function to trigger your
actions when an interface or node down event is received, if you want to use a
ruleset rather than the commands for automatic action in trapd.conf, there are a
few other things you might like to know.

You can of course initiate paging from the paging icon in the ruleset.  When it
comes to putting up a pop-up window with ovxecho or ovxbeep, you do that in an
action node.  That's where you would also do your email command.  And you could
combine those in a small script that you write and execute if you like.  If you
do that, make sure that you end your commands with an "&" in the script so that
one does not wait upon the others.   It makes little difference whether you have
two separate action nodes or one with a script, or in what order you string
these icons together in the ruleset, though they will be executed serially.
Because nvcorrd is just going to hand the action (paging, ovexcho or email
command, or script) to actionsvr, who will fork a process to execute that
command, so in effect, they will all execute more or less, simultaneously.   The
only thing you really have to remember is that in trapd, the trap variables are
referenced as $2, $3, $4, etc., while in a ruleset action you refer to them as
$NVATTR_2, $NVATTR_3, $NVATTR_4, and so on.  And don't forget that in order for
the popup to work you must specify the display that you want it to go to.  You
can set the DISPLAY variable in your script or you can specify it with the  -d
operand on the ovxecho/ovxbeep command, but one way or another, you must specify
it somehow.  The actionsvr does not have his own console so you must tell him
where it goes.

Hope this helps
James Shanks
Tivoli (NetView for UNIX) L3 Support