netview won't see correct hostname...

To: nv-l@lists.tivoli.com
Subject: netview won't see correct hostname...
From: Sean Aaron <sean.aaron@UCOP.EDU>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 11:27:48 -0700
I've added entries for machines with multiple interfaces to the netview
server hostfile and rediscovered them and everything's cool re: the
netview object name.

There is one stubborn webserver that never shows up, however, despite
putting the hostname in /etc/hosts on the netview server, deleting the
object and rediscovering it.

The machine has 4 virtual interfaces, that is, there is only one actual
ethernet port, but 4 different IPs have been assigned all resolving to
different hostnames which reflect different urls.  I get a different one
every time I delete and rediscover this machine, but none are the
hostname.

When I try to manually add the hostname as a selection I'm told that an
object with that selection name already exists.  When I try to locate
the object with that selection name using Locate->Objects->By Selection
Name I get told that there's no such thing.

ovobjprint -s|grep "hostname"

reveals the name I'm looking for in a field 3965, but I don't know the
significance of this, i.e., what object could be associated with that.

ovobjprint|grep "hostname"

reveals the name I'm looking for in fields 10 and 11, Selection Name and
IP Hostname, but again, I can't find any object, so why are these in the
database?

I'm ready to throw in the towel and just rename the symbol, but it would
be great if I knew what was causing this.  I'm sure that if I could
delete the object that is the actual hostname and rediscover this server
it would have the name from the /etc/hosts file, but I can't locate it
to do so.

Any ideas?
--
Sean Aaron